The Academy of the Holy Family is a Catholic day and boarding high school for American and international young women. Through a challenging curriculum built on a supportive spiritual foundation, we empower our students to achieve their full God-given potential to impact their world.
The Academy continues to carry on the tradition of educating young women in excellence, a tradition that has been unbroken for the past 135 years. While offering our students a challenging academic program which includes both Honors and Advanced Placement courses, the Academy fosters a family spirit within its student body. Young women have opportunities to thrive in this nurturing atmosphere, thus being empowered to reach their full spiritual, intellectual, moral and social potential.
Our philosophy is based on the following goals:
- To provide a Christian formation according to authentic Catholic teaching.
- To nurture self-motivated intellectual development through a structured and challenging curriculum
- To tailor our curriculum to meet individual needs whenever possible
- To place a high standard on personal accountability and integrity
- To provide a setting in which young women can realize and develop the richness of their personal worth, empowering them to achieve their full God-given potential
- To prepare students to meet life's challenges of living a Christian and moral life in today's society
- To accept as a sacred trust the commitment to serving the poor
Owned and operated by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church, the Academy of the Holy Family continues its rich tradition of educating young women, the heart of the family and society – an educational tradition that began nearly 180 years ago on the other side of the world…
It was a humble priest, Father John Zwijsen, pastor of Tilburg, Netherlands, who founded the Sisters of Charity in 1832 when he became aware of the great need to educate the poor children of his parish who had no opportunity of receiving an education. The first American house, founded in 1874, carried on the valued tradition of educating young women at the Academy of the Holy Family. Under the steadfast commitment to the mission and spirit of the Congregation, Mother Marie Alma LaFond continued the treasured tradition of dedication to education.
In the spirit of these great founders, the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church continues the unbroken tradition of educating young women from the United States and abroad. We invite you to become part of the living legacy of the Academy … and join the many women who have said that their years at the Academy positively set the stage for their entire life.
The Academy of the Holy Family gymnasium is available to rent for athletics, musical concerts, plays, seminars, and workshops. The facilities are available at both per-hour and per-day rates. For more information regarding the rental requirements and pricing, view the gym request form.
View photos of the facilities